Technical product information
According to the manufacturer’s product liability as defined in the German Product Liability Law (§4 Prod-HaftG), users must heed the following information concerning wheels and castors. Failure to comply exempts the manufacturer from its duty of liability.
Product information and intended use
Wheels and castors in the sense of this definition are generally exchangeable components which can be fitted to suitable equipment, furniture and transport systems, or similar products, in order to render them mobile. This product information refers to castors and wheels, in particular to passively steering castors (swivel castors), for non-mechanically propelled vehicles and equipment, hereafter referred to as ‘objects’, which in general do not move faster than walking pace and are not in continuous operation. Wheels and castors in the sense of this product information can be classified into the following application areas:
e.g. seating, furniture
- General service applications, e.g., shopping trolleys, office equipment
- Hospitals, e.g., hospital beds
e. g. transport equipment (middle to heavy load-bearing capacity)
To comply with intended use, proper assembly is particularly important:
- The product must be firmly fitted to the object at all provided fitting points.
- The object must have sufficient strength at these points.
- Installation must not impair or modify the product function.
- Swivel castors must be installed such that their swivel axles are vertical.
- Rigid castors must be installed with their wheel axles in alignment.
- Only swivel castors of the same type may be fitted to an object. If rigid castors are also fitted, only castors recommended for the purpose by the manufacturer may be used.
Products used in damp environments, exposed to direct weathering, used near the sea or in aggressive environments that induce corrosion must be specified in a specialised version. Products used in temperatures below 5°C and above 30°C are to be specified in specialised versions.
Standard products should never be subjected to nominal loads under such conditions. Wheel, casing, locking mechanism and axle accessories constitute a functional unit.
Liability is only granted for our original products. When selecting castors, all possible loads must be known. Otherwise loads must be estimated with adequate safety margins.
Where product specifications are not explicitly stated in our catalogues, brochures, specification sheets, etc., the requirements placed on our castors (and their components) must be agreed with us. Guidance is provided here by the applicable DIN, EN and ISO standards.
Depending on the specific requirements, wheels and castors must be regularly serviced: through lubrication of the bearings and readjustment of detachable connections. Cleaning agents that contain corrosion-inducing or harmful substances must never be used. Castors (and their components) must be replaced as soon as functional impairment occurs.
Misuse – i.e., utilisation of wheels and castors for unintended purposes – is deﬁned as, for example:
- use of wheels and castors for loads heavier than the maximum load capacity speciﬁed in the catalog
- use on unsuitable, uneven ﬂoors
- foreign objects entering the wheel tread
- use in temperatures that are too high or too low
- moving an object with locked castors by force
- exposure to a caustic environment
- excessive impact and fall stresses
- moving wheels and castors at excessive speeds
- exposure to lateral forces
- modifying the products without the agreement of the manufacturer
use of wheels and castors for loads heavier than the maximum load capacity speciﬁed in the catalog
Maintenance information for antistatic (AST/ESD) and conductive products (CON)
The antistatic effect and electrical conductivity of the wheels and treads can change due to deposits of substances as well as due to chemical and mechanical influences. As a result, the permissible values defined in the standards may be exceeded. In particular, dust, dirt, paint, acids, alkalis, overloading and impacts can reduce or fully interrupt the diversion of electrical/electrostatic energy into the floor. Due to the many influences that arise in the use of our products that are unknown to us, the confirmation of electrical conductivity refers exclusively to the fact that the wheels and castors satisfy the defined, permissible values when in new condition. For this reason, the conductivity should be checked by the operator at regular intervals during operation.
Information and instruction obligations
In compliance with the information and instruction obligations, as well as maintenance work according to the product liability law, the following documentation is available:
- For traders: Catalogs with product information
- For the processing industry: Catalogs with product information
- For users: Product information
To ensure the functionality of the wheels and castors,
- the trade sector is obliged to heed the product information (points 1-6) and, where necessary to request them from the manufacturer and forward them to the processing unit,
- the processing sector is obliged to heed the product information (points 1-6) and, where necessary, to request them from the manufacturer or trade sector and forward them to the user.
Dimensions indicated in this catalogue are approximations, as is usual in this industry. Design is subject to change where modiﬁcations represent technical advancement.